Jean Bougis has specialized in fluid mechanics and especially in naval and marine hydrodynamics (seakeeping structures , fluid – structure coupling , radiation of structures in water , etc.) and in maritime and fluvial hydraulics (protection against agitation, protection against waves and phenomena related to hydrosedimentary transport and aero- sedimentary , etc.).
More generally , he has conducted numerous studies and theoretical , numerical and experimental modeling in various fields of mechanics :
- Science in Mechanical Engineering,
- Naval hydrodynamics and marine
- Marine and River Hydraulics,
- Sedimentology and coastal engineering,
- General Hydraulics,
- Mechanics of industrial fluids,
- Fluid – structure coupling
- Mechanics of structures and thermal transfers
- Computers , software engineering and scientific computing
Today, Jean Bougis mainly conducts study missions, advice , expertise and training in the field of coastal engineering and in particular in relation to:
- protection against agitation and swell by conventional or innovative ways, with fixed or floating structures ;
- water intakes and discharges to the sea for cooling power plants , desalination of sea water , sanitation and dredging;
- coastal protection against erosion, silting or siltation.